Tuesday, October 7, 2008

THANKSGIVING COMES FIRST! or I’m thinking of an orange Thanksgiving . . .



. . .just like the ones I used to know. Where holidays were holidays and kept within their respective months and not celebrated by commercialization several seasons in advance . . .

THANKSGIVING COMES FIRST!

Sorry for the uproar. No, wait. This time I am not sorry. I am not sorry for hacking up a Christmas song to illustrate my point. How many of us has gone into a store, ready to buy a box of Stove-Top stuffing for our deceased gobbler bird only to hear off-key carolers droning their noels over the p.a. system? We do have a holiday before the buying season of Christmas, and we call it Thanksgiving: the holiday giving thanks for our lives and our families and not what blue light special is going on in the local Kmart.

Okay. For everybody who is completely confused over what I’m talking about, blogging buddy Jim has a campaign called "Thanksgiving Comes First." I have included a brief excerpt below. Please visit and join the campaign. Because I know I’m sick of the money-hungry corporations shoving the Xmas holiday down my throat even before I can get the dry turkey down.

If you believe, as I do, that Thanksgiving should play out before Christmas; that Christmas carols should not be heard on the radio before at least Thanksgiving evening; that advertisers who dare to encroach upon Thanksgiving with their hideous advertisements should be told in no uncertain terms that you will not shop at their establishments; that malls who put Santa Claus on display before Veterans Day should be made ashamed of themselves; then please consider doing what I'm going to ask of you.





Should you be as incensed as I am concerning Christmas schlock, please post a "Thanksgiving Comes First" entry on your blog. Write from the heart. Everybody who visits your blog will know how you feel. Perhaps they'll also write about it, and so will their friends, and so on. I hope that, if enough of us do this, we might make some small impact.Please title your post





"Thanksgiving Comes First". If we all do that, it will make a bigger impact. If you wish to reference this post, or other posts with a similar title, please do so. It isn't mandatory. I'm not looking to drive people to my blog; I'm just trying to make a difference concerning something that truly rankles me.


Read post

11 comments:

  1. lol... we canuckleheads be SMATTAH than ye dang yankees, OUR t-day is next monday... cuz we NOSE xmas is then a good two months beyond that, and we can make room for MORE turkey... by then! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat! You Canadians have all the luck. Holidays before our holidays... hockey... free healthcare... more hockey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, my darker gray friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! And what about HALLOWEEN? Seriously, folks. Why is Santa standing next to the grim reaper in Wal-mart? One holiday at a time! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suldog: You are very welcome. I'll do anything to help the cause... except dress up naked in a see-through turkey suit.

    Natalie: OMG! You're joking, right? Santa next to the Grim Reaper? *smacks head in utter shock* That's going waaay too far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tons of snow, too :O hahahahaha

    and i'm with natalie, samhain is at month's end, nowhere near xmas :(

    of course, opinions rage on the exact date, too, with the majority of the thought the Old Church stole yet another celtic/pagan festival, yule, and incorporated it in hopes of converting the plebs into what they had no wish to join....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hobby Lobby. There's an aisle for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. All year. Now that I think is okay.

    I so agree with you and Suldog on this. It causes me some anxiety when I haven't even handed out the Halloween candy yet and I'm thinking about what I'm going to cook for Thanksgiving and where did I put those darn Christmas lights all fighting for space in my head at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughingwolf: How could I possibly forget about the snow? ;P

    Sandra: And people wonder why there is so much stress during the holidays. It's because we are running ourselves ragged trying to get so much done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. then there's the cold: worst in damp/windy weather :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! You have been tagged!!! See my blog for more info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. laughingwolf: I love the cold and winter. I was an avid downhill skier 10 years ago. I hope to get the chance to do more slushing soon.

    Fancy-pants design: NOOOO! Hee-hee! Joking! I'll be right over.

    ReplyDelete

People want to comment here? Okay...it's your two-cents, Bub. Spend it wisely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ESPN NHL Standings