Thursday, July 9, 2009

Still on blog hiatus...

I will get back as soon as I am in a situation where I am able and feel like posting again. I did have a few stories saved as drafts. I'll go ahead and share one. So today wasn't a total lost for you to show up.
**************************
Ew! Ew! Ew! I don’t normally talk about the latest fashion trends on this blog. But I heard about this and was just . . . ew, ew, ew!

“Eye” jewelry. I’ve heard people refer to a person’s eyes as sparkling like diamonds or moon’s rays. I’ve never heard anybody literally mean this IN THE NAME OF BODY ART.

EYE JEWELRY - I almost threw up hearing such a thing. I realize when it comes to body art that the trend is to find the most disturbing thing to create a shock value. But, really, can’t we come up with any other thing than PLACING METAL INTO YOUR OWN EYEBALL? The Youtube video showed the operation where they placed a tiny metal heart into the white part of the person’s eye. Have we, as a society, become so desperate to gain attention from our peers?

*Warning! The link is the actual video of a surgical procedure. I watched a second of it and couldn't stomach anymore. Watch at your own discretion*

I feel sorry for those poor parents throughout the ages who had to deal with the changing fashion trend of their teens. First, there were mohawks and other funky hairstyles . . .

“Oh my GOD! What possibly possessed you to shave the sides of your head and dye the middle in that terrible orange with blue highlights? And how much hairspray did you use on it? Such a waste of money to look cool.”

Then there came tattoos . . .

“What the hell?! You would deliberately mark up your skin with a skull and crossbones! Those things will last for the rest of your life. What type of employer is going to hire you when he has to stare at that on your forehead?”

Then there came earrings in other places besides the ear . . .

“Honey, you have a booger on the side of . . . is that a rhinestone? Don’t tell me you had your nose pierced . . . wait! You have one on your eyebrow too. Okay, I can handle this. I’m ‘hep.’ I’m ‘down with the homies.’ Oh Gawd, is that one in your tongue? And why does your shirt look so strange in the chest area? The fabric keeps snagging on - oh, you didn’t? Don’t tell me you got NIPPLE rings. What do you mean you have them in another place? Where? NO! DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR UNDERWEAR! I don’t want to think about it. Go to your room while I call my shrink.”

And now, eye jewelry . . .

“NOOOO! CALL AN AMBULANCE! SHE HAS A PIECE OF METAL STUCK IN HER EYE! AND IT’S IN THE SHAPE OF A SKULL AND CROSSBONES!”

*shudder* The person who thought up this brilliant idea in the name of money (and that is what it’s really about - the money, not the art) needs to be executed. I say they do it “death by piercing.”

21 comments:

  1. Wow. Words just escape me. While I do have tattoos (and no I don't regret any of them), I have never thought piercings of any time are good. I cannot imagine having something like this done to my eyeball. Of course, I wear glasses so I probably value my eyesight a bit higher than some. Michelle, I'm glad you stopped in, even if it's just for a moment. You are missed, for everything from your writings to your ability with dialogue to your snarky sense of humor. I hope all is okay and I look forward to seeing you back in the swing of things (if it works out that way) someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric: I have a tattoo also. The most I have pierced are my ears, and I haven't worn earrings in over 9 years.

    Thank you for your kind words, Eric. They are great to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And these people do this willingly? At first I thought it was some new form of torture. ewwwww

    I'll keep my tattoos and double ear piercing, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eye jewelry?? here i thought you'd mean perhpas contact lenses with odd patterns on them instead of the "change your eye color" types. come to find it is imbedded metal. good gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie: I'm with you. I'll keep my tattoos too, thank you very much! I don't even want to think about infections or accidental hits in the eye and what would happen to that metal.

    Lime: I could not get through the video. If there was a better version, I would have posted it. This is just wrong on too many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see why you felt the need to vent on this bizarre practice. Don't these people value their eyesight. Good God almighty, you only get issued two eyeballs in this life. I don't get it either. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to trust you and aviod watching the viedo. My mom had a complete melt down when I dyed my bangs blue...Eye jewelry would have killed her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. GOD. I am going to have nightmares about this until the day I die (and probably after). That is the most REPULSIVE, DISGUSTING thing I have ever seen, or will ever see, in my life (and probably after).
    Thanks to you, Michelle Hickman, I am scarred for life! The ruining of childish inocence! Oh the horror!
    (Incredulous laugh, "Childish innocence?")
    Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just crawl into the bathroom and puke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Guess what? I just made my First Post on my blog; If Skyes Were Blu. I don't know how to make a link, but feel free to check it out at

    http://ifskyeswerblu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. EGAD! My first inclination on reading this was "You have GOT to be kidding!" But, I gather you weren't and that you were actually being a good little news reporter and giving us the latest scoop. But for crying out loud, don't these people who does these things have a lick of common sense? Pierced ears -not a bad thing in my book, probably because I pierced my own ears 40 some years ago but because of metal allergies can no longer wear earrings. But piercing navels, breasts, and tongues? Now way! Especially the tongues. That, to me is so gross and also, often very difficult to heal because of all the bacteria and germs that come in contact with the tongue too. I see no beauty in those items and besides, they all involve needles too, don't they, and I have a deep aversion to needles unless it has thread attached and is going in and out of fabric, not skin and tissue!
    Good to see you back -at least for an occasional foray into blog land and the internet. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey!! will be back to check out the rest of your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle, so nice to see a post from you popping up on my dashboard. I hope all is fine at your end.;)
    Now, I wear contacts, but that is as far as I will go to have anything put onto my eye. Those people are having jewelry in the eyes are in a serious need of therapy, I figure. Hehe.
    Have a wonderful Friday.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth: I am very self-conscious when it comes to my eyes. I don't even like getting a stray eyelash out. I rather just let them get all teary and flush it out. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    Funny girl: It's disturbing, and I just don't see the point of it. For something so small to be put there just to have people bend in close to your face just to make it out. Sorry, not for me.

    Skyeblu: Um, you're welcome (I think)? Destroying childish innocence - I never thought I could add that to my resume. And make sure you leave some room for me to get my head down at the toilet bowl.

    Jeni: I actually first heard of this story on the radio who posted the link on their website. You know I don't usually cover live news, or old news, or any news on my blog outside of writing news. But this just struck me to the core, and I had to share. I sure hope this trend dies quickly (although I really wish nobody thought it up in the first place).

    Aretha: Hi! Thanks for stopping by my little slice of blogger home!

    Protege: I think the person who performed the surgery should seek serious therapy also.

    I tried contacts once, the disposable kind, but just couldn't keep doing it and switched back to eyeglasses. I was just too nervous when getting my own fingers so close to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Urgh, I couldn't bring myself to click on the surgery-link. The idea of doing something to your eyeballs is enough to make me shudder. I saw something about this new 'fashion' on TV a couple of months ago and I couldn't believe my eyes. No really. Yuck!

    Anyway, hope you are alright. Or will be soon! Best of luck to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carolina: Don't worry about not clicking on the link. I posted it but I still feel the need to tell everyone NOT to click on it. Thanks for the well-wishes. I hope to get to my blogging self as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not clicking.. but was this actually performed by a doctor?? And you're sure it's not a hoax. It just sounds so WRONG. I'm not a fan of tats and piercings but I never had a problem with what my kids wanted to do with their hair. It grows out and doesn't leave physical scars.

    Good to see you posting.. good thoughts are always aimed your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilary: I sure hope it's a hoax - but they show the eye held open and the little silver heart being inserted...ugh!

    Thanks for the good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this yesterday, but didn't comment. Don't know why, because I could think of a few hundred choice words for any boobs (not the good kind) who would do such a thing. Doesn't it become affected by temperature? Frostbitten eyeball, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't watch more than two seconds, no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Double Ew! It's one thing to mess with your skin, but to mess with your eyesight is a totally different matter. No flippin' way!

    It's really great to hear from you again Michelle. Hope all is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lee Beth: You lasted one second longer than I did. You are brave!

    Theresa: I am sooo much in agreement with you. I can't think of any body part worse to mess with than the eye. And thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete

People want to comment here? Okay...it's your two-cents, Bub. Spend it wisely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ESPN NHL Standings