Thursday, December 18, 2014

Have More Holiday Cheer For Your Fellow People


 Something interesting happened today.

I went down to the store to pick up a pack of butter.

Well, it was actually margarine. I call all margarine butter and all butter butter and... anyway. I was picking up the butter in the little Italian store down the street. No. I didn't pick up any pasta. A person can walk into an Italian store and just pick up butter. I needed it to make an almond pound cake, which was delicious by the way....

Anyhow, there was a guy standing in line behind me. The Overlord was sitting in her stroller. One of the legs was bent on the stroller as I cocked my head down to look. He looked down at The Overlord and mentioned how quiet she is. I agreed and said it was a good thing because she is always quiet in the store.

In less than a minute, the guy unleashed his life story. How he was going to be a grandfather soon (congratulations). On how they hoped this baby would come because the daughter had a miscarriage before (so sorry). How he never sees the other grandkids because they live in Virginia (well, maybe the holidays will bring you together). How he is blamed for all the wrong happening in their lives and not seeing the grandkids because of this daughter's divorce even though he was homeless for awhile (Oh, okay).

When I looked at him at one point, he had a weird expression on his face -- something like a cross between satisfaction and bitterness.

During the holidays, there will always be people who just need to vent about the bad stuff happening in their lives. Just listen quietly and be supportive, even if they are strangers, family or close friends. Letting them unleash the frustration can be a very satisfying gift for them, and it will only take a minute of your time to listen.

A little understanding goes a long way, and I hope something good starts happening in his life.


7 comments:

  1. I think people don't listen anymore, so when they run into someone who does, they unload! We have that in common, as I am a good listener who has heard many stories: uplifting, sad, irritated, etc. It's not as highly regarded as it should be.

    Look at how big the overloard is! She looks excited for Christmas, and I hope the two of you have wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are too plugged into their devices to even talk out on the street anymore. Half the time I leave my cell phone at home.

    She is getting tall and eager for Christmas. :) Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, as I was reading about this gentleman's conversation with you and your responses to him, I was thinking how wonderful it was for him to have someone as kind as you with a listening ear and heart. That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading. And that is so true, Michelle. He might have told those stories one hundred times....to one hundred different people, but to him, it was probably the first time....and you took the time with him. Bless you, my friend. Bless you. And bless him.....
    I hope that you and your sweet little one have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year.
    She has grown so much, Michelle. Beautiful little girl.
    Sending you both hugs and smiles.
    Love,
    Jackie
    P.S. Would it be possible for you to send me your address.
    ebarrales@yahoo.com is my email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Jackie. We all need to vent sometimes about our lives. Sometimes we do it with people we know. Sometimes we do it with strangers. But listening does a world of good, and it doesn't cost anything.

      Sure, I'll get you my address shortly.

      Delete
  4. Listening makes you appear wise, too!
    Really!!!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...compassion, I should probably learn to use it a little more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I was, strolling around the internet to see if some of my favorite people had written anything lately, and I see it's been so long since I came here. I hadn't actually commented on this. Well, mea culpa. It was a pleasure reading you, as usual, and the kindness you showed was nothing less than what I would have expected from a nice person such as yourself. God bless you for being such a nice person!

    ReplyDelete

People want to comment here? Okay...it's your two-cents, Bub. Spend it wisely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ESPN NHL Standings